Friday, May 15, 2009

We Have Forgotten Mercy

I have the privilege of participating in a couple of Scottish Rite Degrees in the Minneapolis Valley of the Rite. I have a small part in the 26th Degree, where I recite a prayer that has the line, "We have forgotten mercy and practiced intolerance."

The Scottish Rite ritual is full on meaning for anyone who would take the time to reflect. This line, in particular, continues to remind me how I fall short in my attempts to live a good life. The trick is, from my perspective, not to let my shortcomings consume me, but to accept them, vow to improve, and continue to strive to be a better man.

The Minneapolis Valley had their year-end Feast of the Consistory last night. In addition to a great meal, the Consistory recognized volunteers (and we're all volunteers at the Scottish Rite) who help put on over 60 degree - in reality, mini-plays - over the course of a year. The photo shows this year's awardees, along with the officers of the Consistory.

A very special congratulations to my friend, WB Dale Seubert, who was honored with a Lifetime Achievement Award for his dedication to all things Masonic generally, and to Scottish Rite Masonry in particular.