Tuesday, May 19, 2009

Tolerance Awareness Tuesday

“Masons should always be ready to defend any religion against attacks.” Rodney Larson, PGM, Grand Lodge of Minnesota.

Grand LEO, Ed Halpaus, has quoted MWB Larson in his May 12, 2009 article, “Truth and Tolerance”. I commend the entire article for your consideration.

I am reminded of a poem by Martin Niemöller, a German pastor and theologian born in Lippstadt, Germany, in 1892, who wrote about the Nazi rise to power:

In Germany, they came first for the Communists,
And I didn’t speak up because I wasn’t a Communist;
And then they came for the trade unionists,
And I didn’t speak up because I wasn’t a trade unionist;
And then they came for the Jews,
And I didn’t speak up because I wasn’t a Jew;
And then... they came for me...
And by that time there was no one left to speak up.

When one is caught off guard by a comment, it takes real talent to be able to say the right thing. Take a few minutes and consider how you would respond if an intolerant remark is made in your presence. Who will speak up for you, if you don’t?