Tuesday, August 18, 2009

Tolerance Awareness Tuesday - Mark Twain

So much blood has been shed by the Church because of an omission from the Gospel: "Ye shall be indifferent as to what your neighbor's religion is." Not merely tolerant of it, but indifferent to it. Divinity is claimed for many religions; but no religion is great enough or divine enough to add that new law to its code.
- Mark Twain, a Biography http://www.twainquotes.com/Religion.html


No one can claim that Brother Samuel Clemens was indecisive in his choice of words. I am not sure I can agree completely with Brother Clemens’ quote, but it certainly gives something to consider and challenge one’s own opinions on the subject.


While I am comfortable in my faith and beliefs, I am not willing to subject others to my beliefs. They, as I, have the right to make their own decisions in that most important regard. In that regard, my beliefs and Masonry's are entirely consistent.