Sunday, March 29, 2009

Thoughts on Being Elected Grand Master

My Masonic resume is sparse compared to many others. There are many other brothers that have labored longer and harder in the quarry than I have.

Harry S Truman said, “There are probably hundreds of people better qualified than I am to be president, but they weren’t elected.”

I know for a fact that there are dozens of Minnesota Masons who are better qualified than I am to be Grand Master. Fate has placed me in this position, but I know that I need to rely on those more qualified Brothers to make sure Masonry progresses.

My Brothers, my theme for the ensuing year will be: “How may I serve you?” Since I can in no way claim to have earned the privilege that has been bestowed upon me, it will behoove me to earn these high Masonic wages in the upcoming year by serving you the best I can.

I will remind myself often that the greatest among us is he who serves best.

I am reminded of a line in an Irish toasting song: “But since it fell unto my lot that I should rise and you should not, I gently rise, and softly call, ‘Goodnight and Joy be with you all.’”

Since it has fallen unto my lot that I should rise and you should not, I gently rise, and softly – and humbly – call that I do accept the election and will endeavor to perform the duties of the Grand Master of Minnesota Masons to the best of my ability and for the betterment of the Craft in this great jurisdiction.