Saturday, April 3, 2010

Past Grand Master's Gift

The officers of the Grand Lodge of Minnesota, 2009-2010, presented me with a wonderful remembrance gift: an exact replica of the Baal's Bridge Square.

Baal's Bridge over the River Shannon in Limerick, Ireland, was rebuilt in 1830. Found tacked to the foundation of the old bridge was a bronze square, with the inscription, "I will strive to live with love and care, upon the level and by the square." It bears the date, 1507.

The card included with the gift indicated that it the Square is Number 152 of a limited edition of 500 cast in silver from a mold taken from the original.

I have spoken and written about the Ball's Bridge Square several times during the past year. It reminds me that Freemasonry has roots deep in Ireland, as well as England.

I am speechless with gratitude for this thoughtful gift from the friends and brothers with whom I have had the pleasure of serving the Masonry in Minnesota. Thank you!