Sunday, January 3, 2010

40th Wedding Anniversary

Forty years ago this day, January 3, 1970, I stood next to the woman (not much more than a girl then) that I love and in front of family and friends, promised to love, honor and cherish her all the days of my life.


So far, so good…


What’s the secret in a marriage that has lasted four decades? Well, like Masonry, the secret is: There is no secret. It takes love, of course, but also patience and forbearance and an attitude that allows you to overlook the (almost certainly unintentional) slights and relish the wonder of a life together.


Those of you who know Patty, know that I have been most fortunate that she chose me for her spouse. It’s not only been this year that she’s had to put up with my crazy schedule – though this year has been exceedingly busy.

A successful marriage: Love. Hard work. Forbearance. And perhaps more important than the rest, the Blessings of God and good fortune.


Thank you, Patty, for loving me even when – especially when – I am not very loveable. I look forward to several more decades loving you if God will grant us the time and His continued Blessings.